Farm Machinery Insurance

Farm Insurance

John Peers Ltd is an independent insurance broker that offers highly competitive premiums through leading insurance companies.

Providing personal & professional care since 1986.

Get a quote

Or call us on 01978 255 846

“We had been using another broker and after speaking to John Peers last year we discovered that we were incorrectly insured and paying far too high premiums.

In addition to insuring our plant, John Peers also looks after our fleet of commercial vehicles and liability insurances. I would have no hesitation in recommending their services to anyone.”

S.D. Northampton

Frequently asked questions

We are an entirely independent specialist farm insurance broker offering the very best in personal service. We arrange your policies through the leading insurance companies' at the most competitive premiums we can offer. You can then relax knowing you are insured with a leading insurance company and if there is a reason to have to claim, you will receive the best in personal and professional service.

It is a legal requirement for all employees to be protected by Employers Liability insurance irrespective of whether they are part time, casual or temporary. Normally you would add Employers Liability to your current Public Liability policy and the insurers will need to know approximately how much your employees wages will be and the type of work they will be carrying out, clerical or manual for example.

Third Party Working Risks is the damage to third party property or injury to persons caused by the specific machine insured. It is therefore restrictive cover and we would always recommend that you had Public Liability insurance instead. Public Liability covers covers you (if you are a sole trader) or you and your employees against third party property damage or injury to persons which carrying out your normal duties of work. This covers you for both manual hand work as well as operating any approved machine suitable for your insurance occupation.

It is certainly very likely that a substantial insurance premium saving can be made by insuring all of your machines under one policy. It also helps your administration as you do not have to remember each policies renewal date.

If your tractor or machine is registered for road use it must either be SORN'd or insured for third party road risks. The new DVLA legislation and system means that you may receive a letter stating that a vehicle registered to you is neither SORN'd or insured and you can be fined accordingly. If you never use the tractor or machine on the public highway it should be SORN'd, however even if you cross the shortest of distances on the public highway you must be insured under the road Traffic Act.

Whilst it is always possible that a particular insurance company may include machines and vehicles under a fleet policy, working on the basis that no one is all things to all people, it is very unlikely that you would find a single insurer who offered the most competitive premiums for both machines and vehicles. Farm insurance is a highly specialised area of insurance with several exclusive schemes which offer the most comprehensive cover at very attractive premiums. It is therefore far more likely that insuring your machines and vehicles under two separate policies will offer you premium savings and the best cover.

There are various laws governing the inspection of lifting equipment, air compressors, electrical installations etc. Your farm and machinery insurer can arrange for such inspections or we ourselves can put you in contact with a suitably qualified and approved engineer.


John Peers Ltd are an independent insurance broker authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority registration number 304284